June 20, 2018
Mid-Maine Latest News | Poll Questions | Immigration | Lumber Market | RCV Ballots

Anson woman awoken by cat while her house burns

By Nell Gluckman, BDN Staff

ANSON, Maine — A woman was awoken by her cat when her house was on fire at about 8:30 Sunday morning, according to Anson Fire Chief Jeremy Manzer.

The woman, who Manzer believed to be in her 70s, was able to get out of the house safely, with the help of her brother. He lives across the street and came over when he heard glass break and saw smoke.

Manzer said the fire was hot enough to break a second-story window.

Though there were no injuries as a result of the fire, it destroyed nearly all of the house, save an addition and an attached barn, according to the fire chief. He said he believes the farmhouse, which is located on Hilltop Road, was at least 140 years old.

Fire departments from Anson, Madison, Skowhegan, Norwigdewalk, New Portland, Industry and Athens responded to the fire, Manzer said. About 40 firefighters were able to get the blaze under control by 10:30 a.m., he said.

Manzer said he believes it was an electrical fire, and it is not suspicious. Fire marshals will be on the scene on Monday to determine the exact cause, he added.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like