May 21, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Marijuana Ties | Mary Mayhew | Car Theft

Rockport fire caused by candle left unattended

Courtesy of Rockland Fire and EMS
Courtesy of Rockland Fire and EMS
The Rockland Fire Department responded as mutual aid to Rockport for a structure fire at 10:45 a.m. Friday.
By Nell Gluckman, BDN Staff

ROCKPORT, Maine — A structure fire in a home on Old Rockland Road started after a teenager left a candle unattended, according to the Rockport Fire Chief Jason Peasley.

The 17-year-old lit the candle in her second-story bedroom and went downstairs. When she went back upstairs, a bed was on fire and the room was filled with smoke, Peasley said.

The Rockport Fire Department responded around 10:30 a.m., according to Peasley, and the fire was extinguished 15 minutes after they arrived on the scene.

There were no injuries as a result of the fire, and the damage was mostly confined to one room, Peasley said.

“Overall, good outcome,” he said

Peasley added he was told the building was one of the oldest homes in the area.

The Rockland and Camden Fire Departments also responded.

Peasley said candles should always be held in a proper container. He added that when a fire breaks out in a home, residents can contain the fire by closing doors.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like