June 19, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | John Bapst | GNP Bankruptcy | Family Separations

Man who robbed Bangor Rite Aid gets 18 months due to cooperation in triple murder case

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A man who robbed the Rite Aid pharmacy at Fourteenth and Union streets in October 2012 was sentenced Thursday at the Penobscot Judicial Center to six years with all but 18 months suspended, which is the time he has been held at the Penobscot County Jail.

John D. Harmon Jr., 29, of Bangor was released late Thursday afternoon, according to jail personnel.

Harmon pleaded guilty in September to one count each of robbery, unlawful possession of scheduled drugs and aggravated assault.

Deputy District Attorney Michael Roberts said after the sentencing that Harmon received a lighter sentence due to his cooperation with the Maine Attorney General’s Office, which prosecutes all homicide cases, in the Nicholas Sexton and Randall Daluz triple murder and arson case.

“He gave some helpful information on one of the defendants in the triple homicide case,” Roberts said.

The county prosecutor said that a defendant with a similar record who had committed the same crimes most likely would have been sentenced to serve four years in prison.

Roberts said that because he had not been sentenced, Harmon was unable to earn good time off his sentence while at the jail.

Roberts did not release the name of the defendant Harmon provided information about.

Daluz, 36, of Brockton, Massachusetts, was held at the Penobscot County Jail in Bangor prior to the trial. His co-defendant, Nicholas Sexton, 33, of Warwick, Rhode Island, was held at the Hancock County Jail in Ellsworth.

Harmon was arrested and taken to the Bangor jail less than a week after Daluz was incarcerated.

Harmon was listed by Assistant Attorneys General Lisa Marchese and Deb Cashman as a potential witness but he never took the stand during the trial. Efforts to reach the prosecutors Thursday were unsuccessful.

During pretrial hearings and the trial, Sexton’s attorney, Jeffrey Toothaker of Ellsworth, said that his client had not talked to police or cellmates while Daluz had told police one story about who shot three people nearly two year ago and his cellmates a different one.

Sexton took the stand May 19 and said Daluz shot Daniel Borders accidentally but killed Lucas Tuscano and then Nicolle Lugdon intentionally. Sexton said that Daluz forced him to set the car on fire and threatened to kill him and his children if he went to the police.

Sexton said that he had talked only to his attorneys Toothaker and David Bate of Bangor about what happened the night of Aug. 12 to 13, 2012.

Daluz did not take the stand.

A Penobscot County jury found Daluz guilty May 28 on three counts of murder and one count of arson following a month long trial. After deliberating for nearly 45 hours over five days, jurors found Sexton guilty of the murder of Lugdon and of arson, but could not reach a verdict on the murder counts in connection with the deaths of Borders and Tuscano.

The charred bodies of Lugdon, 24, of Eddington, Borders, 26, of Hermon and Tuscano, 28, of Bradford were found in a burning rental car Aug. 13, 2012, at 22 Target Industrial Circle in Bangor.

They had been shot to death and the car they were in set on fire to destroy evidence, according to testimony.

Sentencing dates for Sexton and Daluz have not been set.

Harmon was indicted in October 2012 on charges in connection with the Oct. 7, 2012, robbery of the same Rite Aid. He was arrested a little more than an hour after the pharmacy was robbed.

In addition to jail time, Harmon was sentenced to three years of probation and ordered to pay a $400 fine.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like