May 24, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Mark Eves | Any-Deer Permits | RCV Strategy

Arrest warrant issued for murder trial witness after she failed to appear in Bangor court for bail violation

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A superior court justice Tuesday issued a warrant for the arrest of a key witness in a recently completed triple murder trial after she did not show up for arraignment on a bail violation charge at the Penobscot Judicial Center.

Katelyn Lugdon, 19, formerly of Bangor, was charged with failure to appear. Superior Court Justice Robert Murray ordered a warrant be issued for her arrest.

Lugdon is believed to have left the state in mid-May. She was last seen in court May 12.

Bangor police said May 29 that they were not searching actively for Lugdon because no warrant had been issued at the time.

Her court-appointed attorney, Peter Bos of Bangor, told Murray he had not heard from his client in almost a month. Murray set bail at $1,000 cash when and if Lugdon is arrested.

Bangor police don’t plan to actively search for Lugdon, Sgt. Tim Cotton, spokesman for the department, said Tuesday after the judge issued his order. If she were to interact with police in Maine or another state, she would be arrested on the outstanding warrant and most likely returned to Bangor, he said.

If convicted of failure to appear or violation of a condition of release, she faces up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000 on each charge.

Lugdon was a key witness who testified last month in the triple murder trial that culminated in the conviction of two men on murder and arson charges. Lugdon linked the two men to the guns prosecution said were the murder weapons.

She is the sister of murder victim Nicolle Lugdon, 24, of Eddington, and was the girlfriend of murder victim Dan Borders, 26, of Hermon, who were killed along with Lucas Tuscano, 28, of Bradford in August 2012. Their bodies were discovered by firefighters after they extinguished a car fire early Aug. 13, 2012.

Lugdon was arrested in Massachusetts on April 29 after she did not appear in Bangor for a pretrial interview with prosecutors when subpoenaed.

Lugdon was held at the Penobscot County Jail unable to make $25,000 cash bail until she testified. After taking the stand May 6, Lugdon was released from jail on personal recognizance bail under the supervision of Volunteers of America.

She was subject to recall but was never recalled in the monthlong trial. The jury did request to review her testimony during deliberations.

Conditions of her release included that she not use drugs and be tested for their use; that she reside at the Shaw House, a homeless shelter for teens in Bangor; that she abide by a curfew; and that she check with her VOA case manager each evening.

Lugdon was arrested for violating bail conditions May 9 when she failed a drug test, but she was later released.

Randall Daluz, 36, of Brockton, Massachusetts, was the gunman according to testimony provided by co-defendant Nicholas Sexton, 33, of Warwick, R.I.

Daluz was convicted of three counts of murder and arson. Sexton was convicted of arson but only one murder count — the death of Nicolle Lugdon, whom he testified was his lover. The jury deadlocked on the two other murder charges.

They are being held at the Penobscot County Jail while they await sentencing. Each man faces between 25 year and life in prison for the murder charges and up to 30 years in prison on the arson charges.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like