Two charged in connection with bomb threat at York County courthouse

Gilbert Perez
York County Sheriff's Office
Gilbert Perez
By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff
Posted June 06, 2014, at 11:57 a.m.

ALFRED, Maine — Two men are facing charges in connection with a bomb threat at the York County Superior Court made earlier this year.

Bert Stroud, 26, of Saco has entered a guilty plea to a Class C terrorizing charge while Gilbert Perez, 30, of Acton, incarcerated on an assault charge, was served with a warrant for Class C terrorizing, according to Chief Deputy William King of the York County Sheriff’s Office.

On Feb. 10, a call was placed to the Public Safety Dispatch Center in Gray that a bomb had been placed in the York County Superior Courthouse, according to King, who announced the charges Friday.

As a result of the call, the courthouse was evacuated, county services disrupted and court canceled.

After a long, exhaustive investigation by the York County Sheriff’s Office, which included a review of court proceedings, interviews and analysis of audio recordings, investigators were able to determine Stroud and Perez were the prime suspects, King said.

“Stroud called in the bomb threat at the urging of Gilbert Perez, and that Perez provided Stroud with heroin to make the telephone call,” King said.

“The investigation further concluded that Perez urged [Stroud] to make the bomb threat, watched him make the call and supervised the destruction of the cell phone,” King added.

Perez became a person of interest early in the investigation as he was due to be sentenced on an assault charge Feb. 10, according to King.

Stroud entered a guilty plea and is awaiting sentencing while Perez remains incarcerated, King said. Both men face up to five years in jail if convicted.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/06/06/news/police-beat/two-charged-in-connection-with-bomb-threat-at-york-county-courthouse/ printed on September 20, 2014