April 19, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Alex Gray | Bump Stocks | Ferry Fees

Ellsworth standoff ends when man is shot by state police trooper

By Jen Lynds, BDN Staff

ELLSWORTH, Maine — A 50-year-old man underwent surgery at Eastern Maine Medical Center on Sunday afternoon after a daylong standoff in Ellsworth that ended when he was shot by a Maine State Police trooper.

Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine State Police, said Sunday afternoon that Jeffrey Barnard of Ellsworth was shot by Trooper Scott Duff during the standoff. Duff is a member of the state police tactical team and a 17-year veteran of the department.

McCausland said that Barnard’s wife, 56-year-old Vicki Barnard, was not injured.

The standoff began just before 11 a.m., when Barnard barricaded himself inside his camper, according to WGME. A state police negotiator was called to assist the Ellsworth Police Department, and motorists and pedestrians were forced to avoid Route 179-North Street on Saturday after it was shut down.

North Street reopened 11 a.m. Sunday.

Karen Jefferson, a 53-year-old Ellsworth resident who moved back to the area two years ago after spending 10 years in Bangor, was out with a friend for a drive on Saturday when they noticed all of the police and emergency vehicles lining the roads and were told that they had to detour around the area.

“We had no idea what was going on until we got back to her place and checked Facebook,” she said. “We could hear someone talking on a public address system or a loudspeaker or something, so I got the impression that maybe they were trying to get someone to come out of a house or something and give themselves up. But there was a very strong police presence.”

The attorney general’s office has sent a team of investigators to Ellsworth.

Duff has been placed on administrative leave with pay, which is standard procedure whenever there is a police involved shooting.

McCausland said the specifics of the shooting will be released by the attorney general’s office after the case is reviewed.

Correction: Information provided by the Department of Public Safety initially reported that the suspect’s last name was spelled “Bernard.” It is spelled. Barnard.

Watch bangordailynews.com for updates.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like