December 14, 2017
State Latest News | Poll Questions | Republican Tax Bill | Roy Moore | Susan Collins

Trio of central Aroostook residents arrested after high-speed crime spree

By Jen Lynds, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — Three central Aroostook residents have been arrested in connection with a crime spree that stretched from Caribou to Waterville, according to police.

Aaron Dodd, 20, of Woodland, and Emily Graves, 20, of Presque Isle, were apprehended in Bangor Wednesday, and Nathan Morrow, 21, of Caribou, was arrested in Waterville the same day, after all three first managed to elude police in separate high speed pursuits that at times exceeded 100 miles per hour, Detective Andrew Whitehouse of the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Department said Thursday.

Caribou police confirmed Thursday they have been working with the Penobscot County sheriff’s deputies on the case as they investigate the suspects’ possible connections to a string of recent car burglaries and thefts in the northern Aroostook. In one case, a teenage girl’s 2006 Honda CRV was stolen from Presque Isle with the prom dress she intended to wear to this Saturday’s high school prom still inside. The dress has not been recovered, but the girl said Thursday she obtained a new one.

Whitehouse said Tuesday the trio headed south on Interstate 95 in in a Toyota Tacoma that was stolen from the Caribou area. They reportedly stopped and filled up the truck at a gas station in Howland before driving off without paying for the fuel, he said.

Morrow then stole a Dodge Ram pickup truck from the Ramada Inn in Bangor before all three were located at Dysarts in Hermon where they were confronted by sheriff’s deputies, according to the detective.

Morrow ended up fleeing in the Dodge truck and Dodd and Graves drove off in the Toyota, Whitehouse said. Deputies pursued each car separately in different directions, and speeds exceeded 100 mph at certain times during the chases, the detective said.

Graves and Dodd ditched their vehicle and fled into the woods in Old Town where they remained overnight, Whitehead said.

“We apprehended them Wednesday morning as they were at Concord Trailways in Bangor, trying to get on a bus back to Caribou,” the detective reported.

Morrow, meanwhile, lost control of the Dodge Ram in Etna and went off the road, Whitehead said. He also fled into the woods where he remained overnight. When he came out, he stole another vehicle, according to Whitehouse, and drove it to Waterville where he was located and arrested Wednesday by members of the Waterville Police Department.

Dodd was charged with eluding an officer, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, criminal speed and avoiding a road block. Graves was summoned for hindering apprehension and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.

Morrow was charged in Penobscot County with eluding a police officer, Whitehouse said. He also was charged by the Waterville Police Department in Kennebec County with theft by unauthorized use of property, operating after suspension and being a habitual offender.

All three could face additional charges.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like