May 20, 2018
Aroostook Latest News | Poll Questions | Maine Dems | Texas Shooting | Royal Wedding | Preakness

SAD 33 voters to act on $3.3 million budget at May 27 meeting

By Julia Bayly, BDN Staff

FRENCHVILLE, Maine — SAD 33 voters will decide the fate of the $3.3 million 2014-2015 school budget during a district meeting Tuesday evening at Wisdom High School at 7 p.m.

The proposed budget, approved by the SAD 33 board of directors earlier this month, represents a $41,643 — or just over 1 percent — increase from last year, according to information released by Fern Desjardins, district superintendent.

Residents will be asked to allocate the $826,825 local share of the budget required by the state and not raise any additional local funds, Desjardins said.

Of that, St. Agatha taxpayers are responsible for 56.5 percent, or $466,991, and Frenchville contributes the remaining 43.5 percent, or $359,834.

Along with the high school and middle school in St. Agatha, SAD 33 includes Dr. Levesque Elementary School in Frenchville and provides space for the St. John Valley Technology School, also in Frenchville.

The proposed 2014-2015 budget includes a 5 percent increase in health insurance premiums, 2 percent to 3.3 percent wage/salary increases for employees and additional technology supplies for students. It maintains all current staff positions and adds an athletic trainer at varsity home games for student safety.

If voters approve the budget at the May 27 meeting, it goes to a budget referendum vote June 10 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. at the Frenchville Community Center and the St. Agatha Town Office.

Absentee ballots are also available through the local town offices, but should not be handed in until after the May 27 meeting.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like