June 21, 2018
Mid-Maine Latest News | Poll Questions | Pride | Janet Mills | Urban Farming Ban

Waterville death deemed a homicide

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

WATERVILLE, Maine — Someone took the life of a nonagenarian found deceased Friday afternoon in his Brooklyn Avenue home, according to Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety.

“That determination was made by the State Medical Examiner’s Office Saturday, but no other information on the autopsy is being released at this time,” McCausland said in a Sunday email.

Aurele Fecteau, 92, was found dead Friday afternoon by a relative and his wife who called Waterville Police Department, who in turn called Maine State Police to investigate.

Police described the death as suspicious from the start.

“Detectives from [Maine State Police] and Waterville Police continued to gather evidence from inside Aurele Fecteau’s home Sunday, as well as continued to conduct a number of interviews,” McCausland said.

“Detectives have gathered evidence from inside the home that might help explain Fecteau’s death,” McCausland said in an email Saturday afternoon.

“After police issued an appeal Friday night some information has come forward from area residents and police are looking for more,” McCausland said in the email. “Anyone with information should call state police in Augusta at 624-7076 or Waterville Police [at 680-4700].”

If the death was the result of a home invasion or if Fecteau knew the person who took his life are questions that McCausland said he could not answer at this point in the investigation.

“I can’t get into that,” he said. “There have been some residents from the area that have come forward with information that has been helpful.”

State police and Waterville police want to talk to anyone who was in the area of Brooklyn Avenue and Vose Street over the last few days who saw anything unusual or that didn’t seem right.

“We want to talk to anyone who saw anything that looked out of the ordinary and we want to hear from neighbors,” McCausland said earlier in the day.

The longtime local resident, who retired from Scott Paper Co. in Winslow years ago, may have been dead for a day or two, Lt. Christopher Coleman, commander of the state police Major Crimes Unit North, said Friday.

The relative became concerned about Fecteau, who lived alone, after he hadn’t heard from him in several days and went to check on him at his home at 33 Brooklyn Ave. The home is in a residential neighborhood between Waterville’s high school and its football field.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like