May 27, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Memorial Day | Long Creek | Susan Rice

No verdict after jurors deliberate 11 hours in Bangor triple murder trial

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — Jurors in the triple murder trial deliberated for nearly 11 hours Wednesday without reaching a verdict.

The jury of six men and six women left the Penobscot Judicial Center about 7:15 p.m. They will return 8:30 a.m. Thursday, when they will view video of an individual running from a fire and surveillance footage from a local hotel.

Co-defendants Nicholas Sexton, 33, of Warwick, Rhode Island, and Randall Daluz, 36, of Brockton, Massachusetts, known by the nickname “Ricky” or “Money,” have each been charged with three counts of murder and one count of arson in connection with the deaths. Investigators have described the slayings as a drug deal gone bad. Sexton and Daluz have pleaded not guilty.

The charred bodies of Nicolle A. Lugdon, 24, of Eddington, Daniel T. Borders, 26, of Hermon and Lucas A. Tuscano, 28, of Bradford were found in a burning rental car Aug. 13, 2012, at 22 Target Industrial Circle in Bangor.

The prosecution has said Sexton is the man shown in the video running from the burning car and the man shown coming in and out of the Ramada Inn on Odlin Road.

The trial, which began April 28 with jury selection, had opening statements May 1 and testimony starting May 2. Closings arguments and instructions were completed late Tuesday afternoon.

Sexton took the stand Monday and said Daluz shot Borders accidentally but killed Tuscano, then, Lugdon intentionally. Sexton said that Daluz forced him to set the car on fire.

Daluz did not take the stand.

Jurors sent out three notes Wednesday seeking guidance on accomplice liability.

“I don’t think it’s surprising they have been out all day, given the volume of evidence in this case,” David Bate of Bangor, who represents Sexton, said.

Jeffrey Silverstein, the Bangor attorney who represents Daluz, said the jury was working “really hard.”

“Their questions seem to reflect the methodical way they appear to be going through the verdict forms — charge by charge — for each defendant,” he said.

Assistant Attorney General Lisa Marchese said it was not unusual for a jury in a murder case to be out for a long time.

“They are doing what we expect them to do,” the prosecutor said.

The defendants are being held separately in holding cells in the courthouse but are brought into the courtroom when the judge addresses the jury.

If convicted, Sexton and Daluz face between 25 years and life in prison for each murder count and up to 30 years in prison on the arson charge.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like