June 22, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Bangor police continue to look for Katelyn Lugdon, key witness in triple murder trial

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — Bangor police continued Wednesday to look for Katelyn Lugdon, a key witness in the triple murder trial of Nicholas Sexton and Randall Daluz.

Lugdon, 19, formerly of Bangor, is the sister of one of the victims and the girlfriend of another. She testified more than two weeks ago after being arrested in Massachusetts on April 29 after she did not appear in Bangor for an interview with prosecutors when subpoenaed.

As of noon Wednesday, Lugdon had not been charged with a crime and a warrant had not been issued for her arrest, according to Bangor police.

She was held at the Penobscot County Jail unable to make $25,000 cash bail until after she testified. After taking the stand May 6 in the trial of Sexton and Daluz, Lugdon was released from jail on personal recognizance bail under the supervision of Volunteers of America.

Conditions included that she not use drugs and be tested for their use; that she reside at the Shaw House, a homeless shelter for teens in Bangor; that she abide by a curfew and check with her VOA case manager each evening.

Sexton, 33, of Warwick, Rhode Island, and Daluz, 36, of Brockton, Massachusetts, known by the nickname “Ricky” or “Money,” have been charged with three counts of murder and one count of arson in connection with the deaths of three Maine residents. Investigators have described the slayings as a drug deal gone bad. Sexton and Daluz have pleaded not guilty.

The charred bodies of Lugdon’s sister Nicolle A. Lugdon, 24, of Eddington, Daniel T. Borders, 26, of Hermon and Lucas A. Tuscano, 28, of Bradford were found in a burning rental car on Aug. 13, 2012, at 22 Target Industrial Circle in Bangor.

Closing arguments and jury instructions were completed Tuesday afternoon. Jurors decided to go home about 5 p.m. and resume deliberations Wednesday morning. Katelyn Lugdon was not in the courtroom with other relatives of the victims Wednesday as jury deliberations stretched into the evening.

Lugdon, 19, was re-arrested the morning of May 9 when she failed a drug test. She was charged with violation of condition of release but was released that same afternoon on the same conditions.

Superior Court Justice William Anderson, who presided over the trial, threatened to hold Lugdon without bail if she violated her bail conditions again.

Watch bangordailynews.com for updates.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like