April 22, 2018
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | Stoned Pets | Kenduskeag Canoe Race | Barbara Bush

Suspect in Buxton home invasion turns himself in for Mountain Dew, pizza

By Staff, CBS 13

ALFRED, Maine — A wanted man made bizarre requests before agreeing to surrender to police. Michael Crockett Jr., who is accused of robbing and beating a grandmother, told officers he would give himself up if he received Mountain Dew soda, chocolate milk and pizza.

Crockett also said he didn’t commit the crime he is accused of and that he can prove it.

Portland television station CBS 13, WGME, spoke with the mother of Crockett’s daughter, who was in tears saying police have the wrong guy.

“My family is being affected by this,” said Jamie Williams. “My daughter is being affected by this.”

Williams, who has a 6-year-old daughter with Crockett, said there is no way he could have committed a crime on the night of April 11th.

“Michael is sitting in jail innocent, and the people that did do this are out running the streets,” she said.

Crockett is accused of robbing 60-year-old Deborah Nielsen and injuring her with a belt sander, but Williams said they were together all night at a meeting and then a pool hall in Portland.

“I was with him at the time [the] meeting started at [7 p.m.] until we returned home around midnight,” said Williams.

Crockett faced a judge Monday through video arraignment on charges of robbery and aggravated assault. His lawyer said there are text messages from Crockett’s phone to support his alibi.

“They were in Portland,” said Crockett’s lawyer, Amy Faifield. “So it undercuts the theory that he was in Buxton committing robbery and assault at 9:15 p.m.”

A warrant for his arrest was issued last week. However, Crockett hid out in the woods for several days before agreeing to turn himself in Sunday night.

Buxton Police Chief Mike Grovo said that according to the evidence he has, the three people arrested for the April home invasion are the three people responsible for it.

Chief Grovo said the case is still under investigation.

“Just because they’ve been arrested doesn’t mean it’s over,” said Grovo.

The chief said he will be in touch with anyone who claims to have an alibi for Crockett.

Crockett is still behind bars trying to make bail. He is due back in court August 15.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like