Newborn suffers second- and third-degree burns in Sanford accident

Posted May 15, 2014, at 10:59 a.m.

SANFORD, Maine — A 14-day-old boy was critically burned Wednesday night in an incident police are calling a freak accident.

The baby was lying on a couch with his father next to an outdoor fire pit when the father’s coat caught fire, seriously burning the child, according to Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland.

The 43-year-old father was holding the newborn and a 2-year-old son when the incident occurred around 10:30 p.m.

Sparks from the fire ignited the father’s coat, according to McCausland. The father had been drinking, but it has not been determined if that was a factor in the incident.

The child suffered second- and third-degree burns and was taken to Goodall Hospital before being transferred to the Shriner’s Hospital in Boston, McCausland said. The father and 2-year-old suffered minor burns.

The state fire marshal’s office is investigating and is consulting with the York County District Attorney’s office on whether or not to pursue charges. The 2-year-old was placed with other relatives.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Portland