June 22, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Pride | Maple Syrup

Eastbrook woman who tried to save pets from fire in critical condition

Bill Trotter | BDN
Bill Trotter | BDN
Firefighters stand on the roof of a house on Macomber Mill Road in Eastbrook on Tuesday evening. A woman who lives in the house, Nancy Rogers, suffered smoke inhalation when she went back into the house in an unsuccessful attempt to rescue her three dogs and a bird. A spokesman for Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor said Wednesday that Rogers remains at the hospital in critical condition.
By Bill Trotter, BDN Staff

EASTBROOK, Maine — A local woman who suffered smoke inhalation Tuesday when she tried to rescue pets from her burning house remains at a Bangor hospital, according to officials. Three dogs and a bird died.

Nancy Rogers was flown Tuesday evening by LifeFlight helicopter to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor from a field next to her house on Macomber Mill Road, according to Eastbrook firefighter Tammy Edgerly.

Rogers was in critical condition, Andy Soucier, a spokesman at EMMC, said Wednesday.

The fire, reported around 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, appears to have started in the kitchen, local fire officials have said. An investigator from the state fire marshal’s office was expected to examine the fire scene on Wednesday, Edgerly said.

Rogers’ husband, Don Rogers, was not at home at the time of the fire, Edgerly said. Despite extensive fire damage to the kitchen, the house likely can be repaired but is not currently habitable, she said. Don Rogers stayed at a relative’s home Tuesday and is expected to get assistance Wednesday from the Pine Tree Chapter of the Red Cross, she said.

Three dogs and a bird died in the fire, apparently from smoke inhalation, according to Edgerly. After firefighters extinguished the flames, some brought a small dog they found inside out to an ambulance. They attempted to revive the dog with oxygen and by compressing its chest, but their attempts were unsuccessful.

Edgerly said she was not sure if the home was insured. She said the fire department plans to accept donations to help the couple recover from the fire.

Dozens of firefighters from Eastbrook, Franklin, Hancock, Sorrento, Sullivan and Waltham responded to the fire to help put out the blaze. Firefighters had the fire mostly out about an hour after the call came in and remained at the house until a few minutes after 8 p.m., officials have said.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like