May 24, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Sharon Carrillo | Elver Season | Goat Airbnb

Ex-girlfriends of men charged in Bangor triple murder reluctantly take the stand

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — The former girlfriends of two men on trial at the Penobscot Judicial Center in connection with the brutal slayings of three people reluctantly took the stand Tuesday.

Nicholas Sexton, 33, of Warwick, Rhode Island, and Randall Daluz, 36, of Brockton, Massachusetts, known by the nickname “Ricky” or “Money,” have been charged with three counts of murder and one count of arson in connection with the deaths. Investigators have described the slayings as a drug deal gone bad. Sexton and Daluz have pleaded not guilty.

The charred bodies of Nicolle A. Lugdon, 24, of Eddington; Daniel T. Borders, 26, of Hermon; and Lucas A. Tuscano, 28, of Bradford were found in a burning rental car on Aug. 13, 2012, at 22 Target Industrial Circle in Bangor.

Chantee Andrews, 33, of Cranston, Rhode Island, who has two children with Sexton, and Patti Pond, 31, of Fall River, Massachusetts, both wept as they answered questions about their relationships with the men. Andrews said she was jealous of the time Sexton spent with Daluz. She told jurors she later learned Sexton sometimes was with other girlfriends when he said he was with Daluz.

Andrews said that she drove to Bangor on Aug. 13, 2012, to pick Sexton up and drive him back to Massachusetts. She said that he seemed upset about something but did not tell her what.

Pond said that she knew nothing about Daluz’s drug deals. She told jurors that he worked as a landscaper and did painting and other odd jobs with Sexton.

With the jury out of the courtroom, Pond said that Daluz told her to be on the lookout for “Nick or one of his people” around their home in Taunton, Massachusetts.

“He didn’t say he was scared of Nick, he just told me to be careful and watch my house,” she said.

Pond described her relationship with Daluz as “rocky” during the summer of 2012. She said that earlier in the year he had had an affair with another woman but said he was a “good father.”

Other witnesses Tuesday included Ralph Spencer, a cabdriver who said he drove Daluz from the Ramada Inn to First Street in Bangor between about 3:15 and 3:30 a.m. Aug. 13, 2012, shortly before a car was reported on fire at 22 Target Industrial Circle.

Ricky Harris, 35, of Bangor said that Daluz showed up at his house with what he assumed was a bag of laundry. Harris, who met Daluz through other musicians a decade ago, said that was not unusual. He told jurors that he never saw what was in the bag and did not see Daluz use a washer or dryer.

An employee of AT&T took the stand late Tuesday to explain how cellphones connect to cell towers. Henry Enright of New Jersey used cellphone records to show that one caller could use multiple towers during one call if he or she were moving.

Prosecutors have used the cellphone records of the defendants to show jurors where they most likely were when the victims were killed. A representative from Verizon is expected to take the stand Wednesday. Defense attorneys had sought to have the records suppressed but Superior Court Justice William Anderson ruled against them.

The trial, which began May 1 after 3½ days for jury selection, could last another 2½ to three weeks.

If convicted, Sexton and Daluz face between 25 years and life in prison on each murder charge.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like