May 21, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Concussions | Maine Media College | Boston Red Sox

Key witness in Bangor triple murder trial released from jail a second time

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A key witness in the triple homicide trial has been released from the Penobscot County Jail for a second time on personal recognizance bail.

Katelyn Lugdon, 19, formerly of Bangor was released late Friday afternoon, after spending less than eight hours in jail.

She was arrested about 9:30 a.m. on a charge of violating a condition of bail after she failed a drug test, according to Bangor police.

Lugdon, whose sister and boyfriend were killed in August 2012, took the stand Tuesday but is subject to recall. She testified that she and the victims had used and sold drugs.

The charred bodies of Nicolle A. Lugdon, 24, of Eddington; Daniel T. Borders, 26, of Hermon; and Lucas A. Tuscano, 28, of Bradford were found in a burning rental car on Aug. 13, 2012, at 22 Target Industrial Circle in Bangor.

Nicholas Sexton, 33, of Warwick, Rhode Island, and Randall Daluz, 36, of Brockton, Massachusetts, known by the nickname “Ricky” or “Money,” have been charged with three counts of murder and one count of arson in connection with the deaths. Investigators have described the slayings as a drug deal gone bad. Sexton and Daluz have pleaded not guilty.

Lugdon, 19, first was arrested April 29 in Saugus, Massachusetts, after she failed to appear on April 28 for an interview with prosecutors. She was held at the Penobscot County Jail for about nine days unable to post $25,000 cash bail until Wednesday late afternoon. She then was released on personal recognizance bail with many conditions, including no use of drugs or alcohol and that she be tested for their use.

Other conditions also included her staying at the Shaw House, a shelter in Bangor for homeless teens, checking in daily with Bangor police, abiding by a curfew and not having contact with civilian witnesses during the trial.

Lugdon is to appear on June 11 at the Penobscot Judicial Center on the bail violation charge, unless Superior Court Justice William Anderson, who is presiding over the trial, steps in sooner.

“Any problem with any of this and you will be back in jail,” he told Lugdon on Wednesday when he lowered her bail on the failure to appear charge from $25,000 to personal recognizance bail.

If convicted of failure to appear as a state’s witness or violation of a condition of release, she faces up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000 on each charge.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like