May 21, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Concussions | Maine Media College | Boston Red Sox

While gun expert testifies in Bangor triple murder trial, key witness arrested for violating bail

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A key witness in a triple murder trial was arrested Friday morning for violating a bail condition, according to the Penobscot County district attorney’s office.

Katelyn Lugdon, 19, formerly of Bangor, also was arrested last week in Saugus, Massachusetts, after she failed to appear on April 28 for an interview with prosecutors. She was held at the Penobscot County Jail for nine days until Wednesday, when she was released on personal recognizance bail with many conditions, including no use of drugs or alcohol and that she be tested for their use.

Information about which condition Lugdon was charged with violating on Friday was not available. She is being held at the Penobscot County Jail.

Lugdon was arrested about 9:30 a.m., while Bob Burns, a firearms examiner from the Maine State Police Crime Laboratory, was testifying at the trial at the Penobscot Judicial Center. He linked bullets from two of the victims to two guns similar to ones Lugdon said she saw the defendants with on Aug. 11, 2012.

Lugdon is not expected to appear before a judge until Monday, according to the district attorney’s office. She was charged last week with one count of failure to appear as a state’s witness. If convicted of either crime, she faces up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Lugdon, whose sister and boyfriend were killed in August 2012, took the stand Tuesday but is subject to recall.

The charred bodies of Nicolle A. Lugdon, 24, of Eddington; Daniel T. Borders, 26, of Hermon; and Lucas A. Tuscano, 28, of Bradford were found in a burning rental car on Aug. 13, 2012, at 22 Target Industrial Circle in Bangor.

Nicholas Sexton, 33, of Warwick, Rhode Island, and Randall Daluz, 36, of Brockton, Massachusetts, known by the nickname “Ricky” or “Money,” have been charged with three counts of murder and one count of arson in connection with the deaths. Investigators have described the slayings as a drug deal gone bad. Sexton and Daluz have pleaded not guilty.

Burns testified Thursday that the bullet found in Lugdon’s body matched the .32-caliber derringer found in the Penobscot River in March 2013 by an Enfield man, whose hobby is metal detecting. The two bullet fragments recovered from Borders’ body were consistent with the .380-caliber semi-automatic pistol found at the same time, the expert said.

No bullets or bullet fragments were recovered from Tuscano’s body, Dr. Michael Ferenc, who performed autopsies on the three, testified Friday. Tuscano was too badly burned to determine if he died of a gunshot wound as the medical examiner concluded Lugdon and Borders did.

Mark Rowe, 26, of Brewer testified that he was with Sexton and Daluz the afternoon and evening of Aug. 12, 2012. He described Sexton as a friend and “business partner.” Rowe said that he often sold Percocet pills he obtained from Sexton to others. He told jurors he knew Daluz through Sexton.

Rowe, who lived in a garage apartment in Dedham in summer 2012, said that Sexton called him about noon Aug. 12, 2012, and asked him to rent a motel room. He told jurors that was not unusual. Rowe said Sexton and Daluz picked him up in Dedham in a white Pontiac Grand Am. They went to the Ramada Inn on Odlin Road, where Sexton gave Rowe cash to pay for the room.

That night, the trio went to Carolina’s Bar & Grill under the Joshua Chamberlain Bridge in Bangor. Sexton and Daluz were in and out of the bar but never gone for long, Rowe said. At one point in the evening, Sexton had a conversation with Borders.

“[Sexton] said that Dan Borders wanted 30 Perc 30s,” Rowe said. “[Sexton] said that $30 a pill wasn’t cheap enough for Dan. I assumed he went somewhere else. [Sexton] wasn’t super mad about it. It was more like disbelief.”

Rowe said that he bought 30-milligram Percocet pills, which contain oxycodone and acetaminophen, from Sexton, and occasionally from Daluz, for $30 per pill. He said he resold them for $35 or $40 each.

Katelyn Lugdon testified Tuesday that Borders was able to purchase the same kind of pills from her sister and his supplier for $25 per pill, then sell them for $35 apiece. Increasing profits had made it easier for the couple to pay the bills, she said.

Rowe testified that Sexton and Daluz left him at Carolina’s sometime between 10:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. Aug. 12, 2012. He said he expected they’d be back in less than an hour, but the two did not return. Rowe said he tried calling and texting the men, but he received no answer.

Before the bar closed at 1 a.m. Aug. 13, 2012, Rowe said he walked to his girlfriend’s house in Bangor to spend the night. At about 3 a.m., Daluz called Rowe back to apologize. He said he’d wound up at a party and gotten drunk. A few minutes later, Rowe said Daluz called back to ask for the motel room number, and Sexton called him the next morning.

Rowe said when he woke up, he saw media reports online about the burned car with three bodies found in it in a parking lot of a business located less than half a mile from the Ramada Inn. He told jurors that he recognized the car as the one Sexton had been driving.

The trial will resume Monday with witnesses called to corroborate Rowe’s testimony.

If convicted of murder, Sexton and Daluz face 25 years to life in prison.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like