October 23, 2017
Augusta Latest News | Poll Questions | Haunted Maine | Bald Eagles | Medicaid Expansion

Electrical fire damages garage at Augusta car dealership

By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff
Updated:

AUGUSTA, Maine — A fire damaged a garage at a Western Avenue car dealership on Sunday, according to officials.

The fire at the Darling’s dealership was reported at 4 a.m., according to Augusta Fire Chief Roger Audette.

Audette said the call originated as a burglar and fire alarm, but when crews arrived, heavy smoke was coming out of the roof.

The chief said a Federal Express van was damaged by smoke, but no vehicles on the lot or the showroom were affected by the fire, which was contained in about a half an hour.

Audette said an electrical malfunction in the garage was the cause of the blaze.

Firefighters from Augusta, Gardiner, Winthrop and Togus responded to the scene, the chief said, and crews remained until about 6:30 a.m.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like