Problem with refrigerator compressor cited as cause of Garland house fire

Posted May 01, 2014, at 5:09 p.m.

GARLAND, Maine — A fire at a two-story home on Campbell Road began in a refrigerator compressor and likely was electrical in nature, a Garland fire official said Thursday.

The fire, which began shortly before noon, gutted the house, Garland Fire Chief Bruce Smith said.

Heavy smoke was coming out of the back side of the house when firefighters arrived on scene, he said Wednesday.

Smith said the fire was caught up in the attic, which made it difficult for firefighters to put out.

Garland firefighters were assisted by members of the Dexter, Corinna and Corinth fire departments. The crews had the fire under control within two hours.

The home, which was being renovated to be rented out by the owners, was insured, the chief said. The fire does not appear to be suspicious.

Smith said the state fire marshal’s office investigated the blaze. No firefighters were injured.

Recommend this article

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Penobscot