Police charge 3 more in connection with break-ins in Bangor area

Posted April 28, 2014, at 1:14 p.m.
Last modified April 28, 2014, at 5:37 p.m.
William Cushman
Contributed
William Cushman
Randall Cressey
Contributed
Randall Cressey

BANGOR, Maine — Three teenagers have been added to the list of those charged in connection with a burglary ring involved in break-ins at homes in Bangor, Veazie and Orrington earlier this month, and eight additional felony charges have been filed against the two local men already on the list, police said Monday.

William C. Cushman, 22, of Brewer and Randall J. Cressey, 23, of Hampden were charged last week with one count of Class B burglary and Class C theft in separate nighttime break-ins.

Bianca Trask, 19, of Brewer, Courtney Braley, 18, of Bangor and a 16-year-old male from Bangor also are charged with Class B burglary, in the joint investigation between the Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office, Brewer Police Department, Veazie Police Department and Bangor police.

Braley, who is Cressey’s girlfriend, was arrested with Cushman and Cressey and was charged later. Trask was arrested on April 22 and faces two counts of felony burglary.

The juvenile male is facing three counts of felony burglary, Bangor police Lt. Paul Edwards said in a statement released Monday.

Bangor police Detective Myron Warner added the eight additional felony criminal charges and two misdemeanors — six for Cushing and four for Cressey — stemming from multiple burglary and theft reports in Bangor on or around April 9, Edwards said.

Cushman’s new charges from Bangor include four counts of Class B burglary, one count of Class C burglary and one count of burglary to a motor vehicle, a misdemeanor.

Cressey’s additional charges include two counts of Class B burglary and one count of Class C burglary as well as one count of burglary to a motor vehicle, a misdemeanor.

The men were arrested Friday, April 18, after a search warrant raid of a house on Highland Street in Brewer where items were recovered, such as a stolen firearm, cash and other valuables from the burglaries in Orrington and Veazie, sheriff’s office Detective Bill Flagg said in a Monday statement.

The men made their first appearances before a judge last week at the Penobscot Judicial Center, but were not asked to enter pleas because they have not yet been indicted by a Penobscot County grand jury.

“The case will be presented to the Penobscot County District Attorney’s Office in the coming days for review and presentation to the Grand Jury,” Flagg said. “Numerous other charges are expected to be filed at that time.”

Cushman was originally charged with Class B theft in connection with a break-in the night of April 10 at a home in Veazie where a firearm, which has since been recovered, was stolen.

Cressey was originally charged in connection with an Orrington burglary the night of April 11, according to the Penobscot County District Attorney’s Office. He allegedly stole two large containers of change then redeemed the coins, with the help of other suspects, for $176 in bills at a Bangor grocery store.

The 16-year-old juvenile is being held at Mountain View Youth Development Center in Charleston, and Trask and Braley have been released on bail, Flagg said.

Cressey and Cushman are being held at Penobscot County Jail and are scheduled to appear in court again on June 10.

District Court Judge Bruce Jordan set bail at $25,000 cash for each defendant — the amount recommended by the prosecutor due to the nature of the crimes and the men’s criminal histories.

“It is an extremely dangerous person who will take the risk to commit this kind of crime — breaking into homes in the middle of the night,” Jordan said in setting the high cash bail. “Twenty-five thousand dollars is very reasonable.”

If convicted, the men face up to 10 years in prison and fines of up to $20,000 on the Class B charges. They face up to five years in prison and fines of up to $5,000 on the Class C crimes. They also could be ordered to pay restitution to victims.

Cressey had a lengthy criminal history that includes an 18-month prison sentence beginning in September 2011 that he received after pleading guilty to a series of burglaries and thefts in Glenburn he committed in December 2010 and another break-in he committed in March 2011 in Hampden, according to a Sept. 23, 2011, Bangor Daily News story. In addition to prison time, he was also ordered to pay more than $3,000 in restitution to three victims, the BDN story states.

BDN reporter Judy Harrison contributed to this story.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business