April 22, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Kenduskeag Canoe Race | Barbara Bush Funeral | Bangor Savings Bank

Pair arrested after allegedly stealing diamond necklace in Freeport, crashing car during high-speed chase

By Beth Brogan, BDN Staff

BRUNSWICK, Maine — Two men who allegedly stole a $3,650 diamond necklace from Brown’s Goldsmiths in Freeport on Friday afternoon were arrested on Route 1 after fleeing from police and striking two other vehicles before crashing.

Teak William Lee, 22, of Georgetown and David R. Goodglass, 21, of South Portland were charged after a brief chase that ended just west of Durham Road, Freeport Police Chief Gerald Schofield said.

Just before 2 p.m. Friday, police received a report that someone had fled from Brown’s Goldsmith’s on Mechanic Street with a diamond necklace. Witnesses provided police with a description of the individual’s car and license plate number.

Freeport police Detective Gino Bianchini noticed the 1994 Acura headed north on Route 1 near the Brunswick town line a short time later and attempted to stop the car.

The driver accelerated, Schofield said, and Bianchini and another officer pursued the vehicle to the intersection of Durham Road.

Just west of Durham Road, the Acura approached a work zone at excessive speed and managed to circumvent the line workers before it crashed into a 2010 Ford passenger car and then a 2013 Peterbilt tractor trailer, according to Deputy Chief Marc Hagan of the Brunswick Police Department.

The Acura then spun out of control, flew into the air and landed on its roof.

The driver of the Ford, Christine Rudalevige, 46, of Brunswick complained of pain but was not taken to a hospital. The driver of the Peterbilt, 57-year-old David Caldwell of Sedalia, Mo., was not injured.

Goodglass was quickly apprehended, according to Schofield. He was taken to Maine Medical Center with injuries that were not life-threatening. He was charged with theft and violation of condition of release.

Lee, who was allegedly driving the Acura, fled after the crash, according to Schofield, but was located by officers and a Freeport tracking dog. He was charged with theft, eluding an officer, failing to stop for an officer and driving to endanger.

Both were taken to Cumberland County Jail and scheduled for arraignment Monday afternoon.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like