STOCKTON SPRINGS, Maine — The body found floating in the Penobscot River on Sunday morning has been identified as a Bangor man who was reported missing last November, according to the Waldo County Sheriff’s Office.
Cecil Worster, 46, was believed to have left his home near the Hampden town line on foot sometime Nov. 21, 2013, and he wasn’t seen again. His family reported him missing the next day, telling police they were very concerned and that it wasn’t normal behavior for him to disappear without telling anybody.
Days after his disappearance, a dog tracking team and almost a dozen members of the Down East Emergency Medicine Institute searched along the river for signs of Worster. Two ground search teams and an airplane were used to scour the Penobscot from Bangor to Bucksport.
On Sunday, a resident who lives along the river near Sandy Point in Stockton Springs spotted what appeared to be a body, and the Stockton Springs Fire Department sent out a boat to retrieve it from the river.
There are no indications at this point that Worster’s death is suspicious, Chief Deputy Jeff Trafton of the Waldo County Sheriff’s Office said Monday afternoon in an email. The medical examiner’s office had made a positive identification earlier that day, and police waited until relatives were notified before releasing Worster’s name, he said. Bangor police Detective Myron Warner is the primary investigator assigned to the case.
Earlier on Monday, Trafton said he had received a couple of phone calls from people looking for missing loved ones. Worster was one of four people who went missing in Maine in 2013.