November 24, 2017
Augusta Latest News | Poll Questions | Black Friday | North Korea | Sexual Harassment

Wood stove likely blame for fire that destroys Winthrop residence

By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff
Updated:

WINTHROP, Maine — A Winthrop family is homeless after a fire ripped through their Annabessacook Road home on Wednesday evening, according to officials.

An 18-year-old man whose bedroom is in the basement of the raised-ranch home noticed smoke and woke his parents, who called 911 around 10:45 p.m., Winthrop Fire Chief Dan Brooks said.

The parents realized there was fire in the wall just prior to calling 911, Brooks said. The family managed to get out safely.

When firefighters arrived, the roof of the house was completely engulfed in flames, the fire chief said.

“There’s still a wall standing but that’s about it,” said Brooks.

The homeowners were able to get a dog, cat and a litter of kittens out safely, Brooks said. The house is considered a total loss and crews from Monmouth, Winthrop, Augusta and Manchester were on scene until about 3 a.m. Thursday.

The fire likely started in a wood stove, Brooks said, and is not being considered suspicious. The family stayed with a neighbor Wednesday night but the chief was not sure of their immediate plans.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like