Man taken to hospital for apparent smoke inhalation at Levant house fire

This home at 85 McIntosh Avenue in Levant burned Sunday night.
This home at 85 McIntosh Avenue in Levant burned Sunday night.
Posted March 31, 2014, at 10:36 a.m.
Last modified March 31, 2014, at 2:15 p.m.

LEVANT, Maine — A man who lives on McIntosh Avenue apparently attempted to go back into his burning residence to rescue his dog late Sunday night and was overcome by smoke, Levant Deputy Fire Chief Tim Rankin said Monday.

“He was taken in [to the hospital] for possible smoke inhalation,” Rankin said.

The occupant also had a small burn on his right ear, Sgt. Tim York of the state fire marshal’s office said Monday by email. He was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor for treatment and was released shortly afterward, he said.

The deputy chief said he did not know the name of the resident, who lives at 85 McIntosh Ave. The man reported the fire at around 10:30 p.m.

Rankin and a female firefighter, who both arrived in their own personal vehicles, were the first responders to get to the burning raised ranch home. They got there shortly before the first firetruck.

“She was helping the man get off the porch. He tried to go back in to get his dog,” Rankin said. “The dog made it through the fire.”

Fire was already burning through the roof when he arrived, Rankin said.

“Wind was a big issue. Once the fire got through the roof, within five or six minutes the roof was gone,” Rankin said of the heavily damaged light blue home.

Much of the top floor also was burned away. The man’s GMC pickup truck remained parked in the lower level surrounded by debris on Monday afternoon.

Firefighters from Hermon, Stetson, Etna, Carmel, Corinth, Glenburn, Hudson and Kenduskeag helped Levant crews fight the blaze. Neighboring firefighters started to go home at about 2 a.m., but “we kept a crew on scene overnight,” the deputy chief said.

Fire investigators from the state fire marshal’s office arrived early Monday to go through the debris looking for the cause.

“The fire in Levant is undetermined due to the extent of damage,” York said. “The investigation is closed.”

 

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor