CORINTH, Maine — A fire that broke out at the Route 15 Redemption Center on Thursday afternoon destroyed the business and an apartment above it, Fire Chief Scott Bragdon said after the blaze was extinguished.
The fire at 20 Main Road was reported at 5:06 p.m. and was dangerous enough to close Route 15 near its junction with Route 11 for several hours, he said.
“Flames were throught the roof” when firefighters arrived, and shortly afterwards the roof collapsed, Bragdon said.
“We concentrated our efforts on saving the main house” located about 20 feet away, the fire chief said. “Luckily for us, the wind was blowing in the right direction.”
The 2½-story wood building, which housed the redemption business in the basement and an apartment upstairs for the owner’s son, is considered a total loss, Bragdon said. He estimated the damage to be in the range of $150,000 and said the Shorey family, which owns the building and business, did not have insurance. The Pine Tree Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the son, “who lost everything,” the fire chief said.
“They had an outdoor wood boiler at the back of the building and they had an encloser connecting it to the building,” Bragdon said. “They had a malfunction [with the boiler] and it caught fire and it spread up the backside of the building, into the roof.”
About 40 firefighters from Corinth, Bradford, Hudson, Charleston, Kenduskeag, Garland, Glenburn and Levant fought the blaze. No injuries were reported, but as the sun set, “it started to freeze up and and the DOT was called to sand the road,” the fire chief said.
Firefighters cleared the scene at about 8:30 p.m.
“We’ll be back and forth, periodically, checking for hot spots,” Bragdon said.