May 26, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Memorial Day | Bangor Day Trips | Center for Wildlife

Convicted rapist charged with assaulting woman now in critical condition

Maine Sex Offender Registry | BDN
Maine Sex Offender Registry | BDN
Edward Hewes
By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A Brewer man sentenced in 1995 to 17½ years in prison for raping a woman he met in a local bar was charged Thursday in connection with an assault on the woman with whom he lived and reported threats against two police officers.

Edward L. Hewes, 49, made his first court appearance Friday at the Penobscot Judicial Center on one count each of aggravated assault, a Class B crime, domestic violence assault and terrorizing, both Class D crimes.

The 51-year-old victim remained Friday at Eastern Maine Medical Center in critical condition, according to a nursing supervisor at the hospital. The victim, who is not being named by the Bangor Daily News, told police when interviewed Thursday at EMMC that four of her ribs were broken.

Hewes did not enter pleas to the crimes Friday because he has not yet been indicted on the assault charge, which is a felony. The grand jury next meets on March 26.

Superior Court Justice Kevin Cuddy set bail Friday at $3,000 cash.

Hewes said through lawyer of the day Matthew McConnell of Ellsworth that he could not post bail. Hewes remained late Friday at the Penobscot County Jail.

A call from the victim to Brewer police about 10 a.m. Thursday led to Hewes’ arrest. When police arrived at the apartment shared by the victim and Hewes, she said she had been jumped Wednesday night between 9 and 10 p.m. by a male described as wearing a hoodie, according to the affidavit filed Friday.

A neighbor of the couple told police that the victim had told her that Hewes “had flipped out” and shoved her against a wall, the affidavit said.

Once police awoke Hewes on Thursday morning, he “admitted that they had an argument and some ‘pushing occurred between [the victim] and he but he did not report it because that is not his way to do things and he is a man about those things,’” the affidavit said. “He went on to mention that if [the victim] did hit him, he would not report it.”

Hewes denied to police that he had struck the victim.

It was after police placed handcuffs on Hewes that he allegedly threatened them. Hewes said “that the next time we, the police, came over to his place he was going to be loaded and ready to kill us, then himself,” the affidavit said. “He said this several times and made mention that he was 59 years old, served a crime for someone else and would kill us or any other police that came to get him again.”

Hewes was sentenced in December 1995 by then Superior Court Justice Andrew Mead to 22½ years in prison — 17½ for gross sexual assault followed by another five years on driving convictions, according to a previously published report. He was released on April 24, 2009, according to the Maine Department of Corrections, which indicates he earned good time while incarcerated.

As a result of the 1995 conviction, he is required to register as a sex offender for life.

If convicted of the aggravated assault, Hewes would face up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $20,000.

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence and would like to talk with an advocate, call 866-834-4357, TRS 800-787-3224. This free, confidential service is available 24/7 and is accessible from anywhere in Maine.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like