Home damaged, pets perish in New Canada fire

Posted March 15, 2014, at 3:15 p.m.

NEW CANADA, Maine — A New Canada couple’s home was damaged and several pets were killed after a fire engulfed their residence Saturday morning.

Fort Kent Fire Chief Ed Endee said Saturday that the fire at the home of Gordon and Darlene Martin was reported just after 9:30 a.m.

According to Endee, the couple returned to their single story dwelling at 58 Sly Brook Road and found it in flames. Endee said that 22 firefighters were on the scene for about an hour.

The fire broke out in the living room, the chief said, and resulted from a malfunctioning battery charging unit that was in the area. He said the home was not destroyed, but was no longer habitable. The couple has insurance.

He believes two cats and a dog were killed in the blaze.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Aroostook