June 19, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Susan Collins | Tiny House Surprise | Stephen King

Orrington burglary suspect who got stuck in snowbank fails to post bail

Penobscot County Jail | BDN
Penobscot County Jail | BDN
Scott Buck, 30, of Howland
By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — An alleged burglar whose getaway was thwarted Thursday morning by a snowbank remained Friday at the Penobscot County Jail unable to post bail.

Scott Buck, 30, of Howland made his first court appearance Friday afternoon at the Penobscot Judicial Center on one count each of burglary and theft by unauthorized taking, both Class C crimes.

He is accused of breaking into an Orrington business that sells remote-controlled vehicles and other devices.

Superior Court Justice Kevin Cuddy set bail at $5,000 surety or $1,000 cash.

Buck did not enter pleas to the felony charges because he has not yet been indicted by the Penobscot County grand jury. The grand jury is scheduled to convene March 26.

He allegedly broke the window in the front door of the business to gain access. That might have set off the burglar alarm that alerted Penobscot Regional Dispatch to the break-in.

Police found store merchandise worth $1,180 in Buck’s truck, according to the affidavit filed Friday. Three remote controllers, one worth $430 and two worth $250 each, were found. Also recovered was a blade for a remote helicopter worth $250.

Penobscot County Sheriff’s Deputy Andrew Whitehouse was called to Kings Mountain RC on Center Drive about 4 a.m. Thursday, the affidavit said. When Whitehouse arrived, he saw a GMC Sonoma pickup truck stuck in the snow being blocked by a larger truck with a plow.

The store owner was in the plow truck, the affidavit said. He told Whitehouse that he did not know Buck’s name but did recognize him as someone who had been in the store recently.

Buck refused to waive his Miranda rights so a possible motive for the alleged burglary and theft was not included in the affidavit.

Buck’s next court appearance is scheduled for May 12. If convicted, he faces up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000 on each count.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like