Sports briefs for March13, 2014

Posted March 13, 2014, at 8 p.m.

Lakers’ Nash shut down for season

Los Angeles Lakers point guard Steve Nash has been officially ruled out for the remainder of the season, coach Mike D’Antoni told reporters Thursday.

“He’s not going to play,” Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times tweeted a quote from D’Antoni regarding Nash.

Nash, 40, played in only 10 games this season while dealing with numerous injuries tied to nerve damage suffered when he broke his leg in 2012-13. He has been dealing with issues with his back and leg since signing with the Lakers before last season.

Nash played in just a total of 60 games with the team.

Nash most recently returned to the lineup for a four-game stretch in early February, but left the team’s Feb. 11 loss to the Utah Jazz early and has not returned.

The news comes one day after the Lakers made it official that injured star guard Kobe Bryant will not return this season.

Wizards’ Wall fined $15,000 for criticizing officials

Washington Wizards guard John Wall has been fined $15,000 for directing inappropriate comments towards the officials, the NBA announced Thursday.

The incident occurred at the conclusion of the Wizards’ 98-85 loss to the Charlotte Bobcats on Wednesday night.

Wall was angry about non-calls on drives to the basket and was upset about a late foul when he was contesting guard Kemba Walker’s 3-pointer with about five minutes remaining.

Wall, who leaves the Wizards in scoring with 19.6 points per game, did not shoot a free throw until the 4:31 mark of the fourth quarter.

Indians DH Giambi out 3-4 weeks

Cleveland Indians designated hitter Jason Giambi will miss three to four weeks due to a fractured rib, the team announced Thursday.

Giambi was injured when he was hit by a pitch thrown by Chicago Cubs right-hander Edwin Jackson on March 7. Giambi had an MRI on Wednesday and the fracture was revealed.

The 43-year-old is a non-roster invitee to spring training. He hit .183 with nine home runs and 31 RBIs in 186 at-bats last year.

Clippers consider shutting down Redick

Shooting guard J.J. Redick, ailing with a disc problem in his back for six weeks, could be shut down for the rest of the season by the Los Angeles Clippers.

Redick was acquired by a sign-and-trade to play in Doc Rivers’ offense the role Ray Allen played with the Boston Celtics. Multiple injuries have limited Redick to 30 total games and he last played Feb. 3.

The bulging disc issue could come and go, according to Rivers, who said Redick might not be able to return this season.

In an attempt to gauge his readiness, Redick will begin a shooting program but that is not an indication of any timeline for his return, Rivers said.

Redick’s role is being played by Matt Barnes and Jared Dudley, streaky shooters who lack the consistent long-distance range of Redick.

 

SEE COMMENTS →

View stories by school

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Sports