May 28, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | George HW Bush | Memorial Day | Long Creek

Medway man previously sentenced on gun charges gets 10 years on chase charges

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A Medway man sentenced Wednesday to 18 years in prison on federal gun charges was ordered Thursday to serve a decade in state prison on convictions resulting from a 15-mile, high-speed chase in January 2012.

Lauren MacArthur, 29, will serve the sentences at the same time in a federal facility, Maine Superior Court Justice William Anderson ruled.

In September 2012, MacArthur pleaded guilty at the Penobscot Judicial Center to two counts of assault on a police officer, reckless conduct, refusal to submit to arrest, criminal speeding, violation of a condition of release and operating after suspension.

He pleaded guilty Thursday to a third count of assault on an officer. That charge stemmed from a Jan. 20, 2014, incident in which MacArthur punched a Penobscot County Jail officer in the face.

Anderson sentenced MacArthur to serve five years in prison, the maximum for Class C crimes, on the assaulting an officer charges. The judge ordered that he serve that sentence after he has completed a five-year sentence on the other charges.

The judge did not impose any probation but did order MacArthur to pay fines and fees totaling $750 after he is released from federal prison.

MacArthur pleaded guilty in November 2012 in federal court in Bangor to one count each of possession of a firearm by a felon and possession of a stolen firearm.

In addition to prison time, MacArthur was sentenced Wednesday to five years of federal supervised release.

MacArthur has a long criminal history that includes more than 20 convictions in state court, Alice Clifford, assistant district attorney for Penobscot County told Anderson on Thursday.

MacArthur has been held without bail at the Penobscot County Jail since his arrest. In addition to assaulting guards and getting into fights with other inmates, MacArthur also attempted suicide while at the jail.

About 15 months, the time he has been held while awaiting sentencing on the gun charges, is expected to be credited to his 18-year federal sentence.

The federal and state charges stemmed from a series of incidents on Jan. 20, 2012, that included a 15-mile, high-speed car chase that started after MacArthur allegedly tried to run down an Orono police sergeant who was directing traffic after a University of Maine hockey game, police said in January. MacArthur drove into Milford and French Island before being rammed off the road by a police cruiser on Route 178.

MacArthur fled on foot but was tackled and arrested, according to court documents.

Later that night, a resident found a rifle in a snowbank 162 feet from where MacArthur’s car was finally stopped. Another rifle was found a few days later on a riverbank that was below the spot where MacArthur’s car had swerved during the chase. The rifles were traced to a home in Medway that was burglarized the day of the chase.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like