April 21, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | NEA Poetry Suit | Kenduskeag Stream Race | Maine Legislature

Ellsworth police seek man who led officers on 8-mile foot chase through woods after alleged burglary

By Bill Trotter, BDN Staff

ELLSWORTH, Maine — Local police have one man in custody and are looking for another after officers interrupted an alleged burglary at a vacant home on Route 1A.

Police discovered the alleged break-in at around 11 p.m. Tuesday, when Trooper Cliff Peterson of the Maine State Police came across a man dragging a plastic sled along the edge of the highway, Lt. Harold Page said Wednesday. Peterson stopped his cruiser and questioned the man, later identified as Carl Burch, 42, of Ellsworth, and became suspicious he was up to something, Page said.

Peterson then contacted Ellsworth police and, after talking to Burch, found a car parked by the side of the road a short distance away.

“It was full of copper piping and baseboard heating units,” Page said of the vehicle.

Police then located a vacant home nearby and, as they were approaching, another man fled out of the house on foot into the nearby woods, the lieutenant said.

The man, who police say is Mark Sincyr, 40, of Eastbrook, led police on an eight-mile foot chase through the woods that lasted five hours, Page said. Police had search dogs on his scent but lost it in the vicinity of Patten Pond in neighboring Surry. The suspect was able to avoid capture.

Page said Wednesday morning that police still are looking for Sincyr, who likely will face burglary charges.

He said officers have indicated that the accused thieves took at least $2,000 worth of material from the home, but that with the damage done to the house, the overall economic impact is expected to be greater.

“It will probably be way more than that,” Page said. “That’s a minimum estimate.”

Burch was arrested on charges of burglary, theft and criminal mischief. Burglary, the most serious of the charges, is a Class B offense in Maine, punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a $20,000 fine.

Aside from Maine State Police, the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department and Ellsworth and Surry Fire Departments assisted Ellsworth police.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like