May 24, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Sharon Carrillo | Elver Season | Goat Airbnb

Medway man sentenced to 18 years in prison on gun charges related to high-speed chase

Gabor Degre | BDN
Gabor Degre | BDN
Lauren MacArthur of Medway is shown during a 2012 court appearance.
By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A Medway man facing a 10-year sentence in state court on charges stemming from a high-speed chase in January 2012 was sentenced Wednesday in U.S. District Court to 18 years in federal prison on gun charges.

Lauren MacArthur, 29, pleaded guilty in November 2012 to one count each of possession of a firearm by a felon and possession of a stolen firearm.

In addition to prison time, MacArthur was sentenced to five years of supervised release.

In September 2012, he pleaded guilty at the Penobscot Judicial Center to two counts of assault on a police officer, reckless conduct, refusal to submit to arrest, criminal speeding, violation of a condition of release and operating after suspension.

A plea agreement with the Penobscot County district attorney’s office calls for MacArthur to be sentenced to 10 years to be served at the same time he serves the federal sentence. MacArthur is scheduled to be sentenced on the state charges Thursday at the Penobscot Judicial Center in Bangor.

MacArthur has been convicted of more than 20 crimes in state court, according to U.S. District Judge John Woodcock.

MacArthur has been held without bail at the Penobscot County Jail since his arrest. While incarcerated, he got into three fights with inmates and assaulted corrections officers in three separate incidents, Woodcock said. MacArthur was indicted last month by the Penobscot County grand jury on one count of assaulting an officer. That charge is expected to be resolved at his sentencing Thursday.

MacArthur also attempted suicide while at the jail. Woodcock recommended he be sent to a federal prison where his mental health and substance abuse problems can be addressed.

About 15 months, the time he has been held while awaiting sentencing on the gun charges, is expected to be credited to his 18-year sentence.

The federal gun charges stemmed from a series of incidents on Jan. 20, 2012, that included a 15-mile, high-speed car chase that started after MacArthur allegedly tried to run down an Orono police sergeant who was directing traffic after a University of Maine hockey game in Orono, police said in January. MacArthur drove into Milford and French Island before being rammed off the road by a police cruiser on Route 178.

MacArthur fled on foot but was tackled and arrested, according to court documents.

Later that night, a resident found a rifle in a snowbank 162 feet from where MacArthur’s car was finally stopped. Another rifle was found a few days later on a riverbank that was below the spot where MacArthur’s car had swerved during the chase. The rifles were traced to a home in Medway that was burglarized the day of the chase.

On the federal charges, MacArthur faced a mandatory minimum sentence of 15 years and up to life in prison because of his extensive criminal history.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Todd Lowell recommended MacArthur be sentenced to 19 years and eight months in prison and be on supervised release for five years. Defense attorney Hunter Tzovarras urged a sentence of 15 years and five years of supervised release.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like