November 21, 2017
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | Charles Manson | North Korea | Susan Collins

Fire sparked by overheated coal stove damages York home

By Susan Morse, The York Weekly
Updated:

YORK, Maine — The York Village and York Beach fire departments responded Sunday night to a coal stove fire that spread to the walls of a River Meadow Lane home, according to York Village Fire Chief Chris Balentine.

No one was injured but the fire caused an estimated $25,000 in damage to the ranch home at 9 River Meadow Lane, off Southside Road, Balentine said.

The fire was reported by homeowner Robin Shaw around 10:30 p.m., according to Balentine. It began in an overheated coal stove, which was inserted into a fireplace.

“The coal stove got really warm, it ignited the mantle and some wall board on either side of the fireplace,” Balentine said. The home’s heat source was supplemented by the coal heat, he said.

Luckily, Shaw saw the fire prior to retiring for the night, he said.

“It caught the wall on fire. Damage was limited to an area around the chimney,” Balentine said.

The fire was under control by 2 a.m., he said.

The residents and a pet cat were evacuated, but Balentine said the homeowner planned to return to the home Monday.

Because of the potential for chimney damage, Balentine estimated the cost of repair could be as much as $25,000.

The Kittery Fire Department aided with station coverage.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like