June 25, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Lone Star Ticks | Foraging | Bangor Pride

Maine prison murder suspect makes initial court appearance by video

Stephen Betts | BDN
Stephen Betts | BDN
Richard Stahursky (right) sits with his attorney Christopher MacLean at the Maine State Prison during a videoconference appearance Thursday afternoon at the Knox County courthouse.
By Stephen Betts, BDN Staff

ROCKLAND, Maine — A Maine State Prison inmate accused of killing a fellow prisoner by brutally beating and stabbing him made his initial court appearance Thursday afternoon.

Richard Stahursky entered no plea, and no action was taken on bail at the request of the defense.

The hearing lasted about three minutes. Stahursky’s appearance before Justice Jeffrey Hjelm was done using videoconference. Stahursky was at a table sitting with defense attorney Christopher MacLean in a room at the Maine State Prison.

Stahursky told Hjelm that he understood the charge against him and understood his legal rights.

The next court hearing is scheduled for late April, after the next scheduled grand jury in Knox County.

Stahursky is charged with the Feb. 28 murder of Micah Boland. Police say Boland was stabbed 87 times and beaten in his cell at the Maine State Prison. Stahursky had two homemade knives in his possession at the time of the killing.

Stahursky confessed to the killing and claimed he wouldn’t plead not guilty by reason of insanity because he knew what he was doing, according to the affidavit filed by Maine State Police Detective Jason Andrews.

According to the affidavit, Stahursky said he sought out Boland, 37, after conducting his own investigation within the prison to find out who made false allegations that he improperly passed items from one prison pod to another living area. Stahursky told the state police detective that the false allegations cost him his job as a hallway worker.

Stahursky blames the lack of an investigation by prison staff into the false rumors as motivation for his decision to confront Boland, according to the affidavit.

Boland was sentenced in 2008 in Waldo County Superior Court to 22 years for sexually assaulting a 4-year-old girl in Liberty in March 2007.

Stahursky has a record of violence within the prison. In December 2012, he was sentenced to an additional eight years in prison for assaulting a guard. At that time, Stahursky asked Hjelm to impose the maximum 10 years.

Before that incident, he had been convicted of two separate stabbings of inmates with shanks and one count of arson for setting a fire in 2004.

Stahursky was also indicted in April 2013 of possessing a shank. That case remains pending.

He was originally sentenced in 2002 to nearly 20 years in prison for an armed robbery of a Mainway convenience store in Fort Fairfield. At the time of that robbery, he was also wanted by police in Connecticut for a larceny charge.

He was not scheduled to be released until 2032. The fact that he will not be released for decades led to the decision Thursday not to address the issue of bail.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like