Searsport man accused of sexual abuse of teen girl

By Abigail Curtis, BDN Staff
Posted March 05, 2014, at 6:23 p.m.

SEARSPORT, Maine — A Searsport man was arrested and charged with sexual abuse of a minor last week after a police investigation that began in mid-February.

Joshua Sykes, 35, is alleged to have abused a 15-year-old girl in January 2013, according to Chief Dick LaHaye of the Searsport Police Department. One of her family members called police on Feb. 11 of this year to report the alleged crime, he said. Detectives interviewed the teen, her family members and others before interviewing Sykes last Thursday at the Searsport Police Department.

“Based on the information we gathered, shortly after the interview was concluded, I arrested him and charged him with the alleged crime,” LaHaye said, declining to give more specifics.

Sykes was taken to Waldo County Jail in Belfast, and then transported to Two Bridges Regional Jail in Wiscasset. On Friday, he was arraigned by video from jail and a judge set his bail for the Class C crime at $5,000.

According to LaHaye, Sykes, who is unemployed, posted bail and has been released from police custody.

To reach a sexual assault advocate, call the Statewide Sexual Assault Crisis and Support Line at 800-871-7741, TTY 888-458-5599. This free and confidential 24-hour service is accessible from anywhere in Maine. Calls are automatically routed to the closest sexual violence service provider.

 

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/03/05/news/midcoast/searsport-man-accused-of-sexual-abuse-of-teen-girl/ printed on November 23, 2014