November 22, 2017
Down East Latest News | Poll Questions | Charlie Rose | North Korea | Sexual Harassment

Fire heavily damages Cutler garage where man lived

By Tim Cox, BDN Staff

CUTLER, Maine — A fire caused heavy damage to a metal garage building in Cutler where an unidentified man was living, officials reported Tuesday.

Firefighters were summoned to the building on Turner Road near the Navy communications station about 2:51 p.m. Monday.

Navy firefighters already were on the scene and had knocked down the flames, reported Wayne Dennison, chief of the Cuter Volunteer Fire Department.

It took another 15-20 minutes to bring the blaze fully under control, he said Tuesday.

“It was a hard fire to fight because of the way the building was laid out and all the stuff that was in the building,” said Dennison.

The flames gutted half the structure, and the other half was smoke-damaged, he said.

The man who was living in the building was not there at the time. He was at a nearby store, and people at the store saw the smoke from the fire and called authorities, according to Dennison.

The fire apparently originated from a wood stove, according to Dennison. The stove was the building’s only source of heat, he said.

No injuries were reported, but the fire claimed a dog, according to Dennison.

Navy officials said the building used to be located on government property and housed a hobby shop.

East Machias firefighters also responded.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like