Sports briefs for March 3, 2014

Posted March 03, 2014, at 8:20 p.m.

SEC fines South Carolina $25,000

In accordance with SEC policy, the conference fined the University of South Carolina $25,000 after fans stormed the court following Saturday’s 72-67 home win over No. 17 Kentucky.

The SEC is the only conference in college basketball with a tiered fining system for its schools that rush the court.

According to the policy, “at no time before, during or after a contest shall spectators be permitted to enter the competition area. It is the responsibility of each member institution to implement procedures to ensure compliance with this policy.”

A first-time violation results in a $5,000 fine. A second offense warrants a $25,000 fine. After that, the fine increases to $50,000.

“This policy is designed to ensure a safe environment for everyone who participates and attends our athletic events,” SEC commissioner Mike Slive said in a statement. “The health and safety of our student-athletes, coaches, officials and fans are the top priority.”

South Carolina president Harris Pastides participated in Saturday’s postgame rush to the court.

“Once I realized I was paying (the fine) anyway, I ran down. … I enjoyed every dollar,” he told the Daily Gamecock.

Lakers don’t expect Bryant, Nash back this season

Los Angeles Lakers veteran guards Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash are unlikely to return to play this season, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni said Monday that Bryant has not been medically cleared and Nash continues feeling soreness from chronic back problems.

The Lakers (20-39) have only 23 games left in their season. Nash has played in only 10 games this season and Bryant just six.

The 35-year-old Bryant has been out since Dec. 17 with a fracture left knee.

“The doctors haven’t cleared Kobe so it’s a non-issue right now,” D’Antoni said. “The thing is, does he get back and play some games to get his rhythm back for next year or just wait? So I don’t know.”

D’Antoni also did not sound hopeful for Nash, who turned 40 last month,

“I don’t know what to tell you,” D’Antoni said. “What’s the endgame? We’ve talked about it. He’s not completely healthy. We have 23 games left. We’re not going to make the playoffs. …”

Capitals’ Orlov suspended two games

The NHL suspended Washington Capitals defenseman Dmitry Orlov two games without pay for boarding Philadelphia Flyers forward Brayden Schenn during Sunday’s game, the league announced Monday.

The incident occurred at 9:33 of the third period of the Capitals’ 5-4 overtime loss. Orlov was assessed a major penalty for boarding.

Orlov will forfeit $7,076.92 in salary for the suspension.

49ers reach two-year deal with WR Boldin

The San Francisco 49ers announced Monday that they agreed to terms with wide receiver Anquan Boldin on a two-year contract through the 2015 season.

Financial terms of the contract were not disclosed, but ESPN reported that Boldin agreed to a two-year deal worth $12 million, including $9 million guaranteed.

Boldin, 33, is coming off a season in which he made 85 receptions for 1,179 yards with seven touchdowns. It marked the three-time Pro Bowler’s sixth-career 1,000-yard season, and his first since 2009.

In the playoffs, Boldin had 16 catches for 227 yards with one touchdown. He was named the recipient of the team’s Bill Walsh Award as the 49ers’ MVP as selected by the coaching staff.

Owner: Thomas not candidate for any Pistons jobs

A spokesman for Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores wrote in an email to MLive.com that Isiah Thomas is not being considered to replace general manager Joe Dumars.

“He is not a candidate for any job with the Pistons,” Mark Barnhill wrote.

Barnhill wrote that he and Gores had dinner with Thomas in Los Angeles recently but the only topic discussed was the team’s upcoming Bad Boys reunion.

Thomas is expected to attend the reunion of the Pistons’ 1989 and 1990 NBA championship teams March 28 at The Palace of Auburn Hills.

The New York Daily News reported that Thomas is a leading candidate to replace Dumars, citing league sources.

“If people are gonna manufacture rumors every time we are seen in the same room as someone, it’s gonna be a long few weeks as we head into the Bad Boys reunion and beyond,” Barnhill wrote.

 

SEE COMMENTS →

View stories by school

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Sports