May 22, 2018
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | Marijuana Ties | Mary Mayhew | Car Theft

Laundry dryer blamed for fire at Portland assisted living center

Courtesy of Portland Fire Department
Courtesy of Portland Fire Department
Portland Ladder 3 raises its ladder to the roof of the Portland Center for Assisted Living as a precaution after a smokey fire destroyed a laundry dryer on Saturday. No injuries were reported and the fire was not considered suspicious.

Portland firefighters were called to the scene of a fire at the Portland Center for Assisted Living at 68 Devonshire St. after a fire alarm went off at 11:14 a.m. on Saturday, according to a news release from the Portland Fire Department.

Upon arrival, firefighters discovered that a laundry dryer had caught fire.

“We evacuated the residents in the floor directly above the dryer room. They were sheltered in place on the other side of a fire door,” Deputy Fire Chief William Flynn said in the release.

The fire was contained the dryer quickly extinguished.

After crews determined the area was safe, residents were cleared returned to their units.

“The fire alarm system worked exactly as designed, ensuring a quick response which minimized the damage and ensured the safety of the building’s residents,” Fire Chief Jerome LaMoria said in the release.

Damage was estimated at $5,000. No injuries were reported.

The fire is not considered suspicious, according to the release.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like