Belfast man burned while trying to put out grease fire

Posted Feb. 26, 2014, at 7:34 p.m.

BELFAST, Maine — An East Waldo Road man was injured Wednesday evening while trying to put out a grease fire in his kitchen.

William Daggett, who is in his 60s, was taken to Waldo County General Hospital to be treated for burns to his right arm, hand and face. Officials said he suffered noncritical injuries.

Daggett had tried to use his telephone to call for help, according to Belfast fire officials, but his phone became disconnected and he had to go out to the road and wave down people on the street.

Belfast Fire Chief Jim Richards said that the kitchen area of the trailer was badly burned and that Daggett apparently had tried to lug a burning frying pan outside to extinguish the flames but was unsuccessful. Nineteen firefighters went to the home after the fire was reported around 5:30 p.m. and they tamped down the blaze in 20 minutes, Richards said.

They cleared the scene by 7 p.m., according to Richards.

 

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Midcoast