Unoccupied Clifton home destroyed by fire

Posted Feb. 26, 2014, at 8:49 a.m.
Last modified Feb. 26, 2014, at 11:55 a.m.

CLIFTON, Maine — An unoccupied home on Chemo Pond was gutted by fire early Wednesday morning, according to officials.

The longtime occupants of the home both died in 2013, according to Eddington Fire Chief Jim Ellis, and their sons had been looking after the story-and-a-half structure on Scott Point Road.

Ellis said crews from five communities were called to the blaze shortly before 1 a.m., and fire was visible when Eddington crews arrived on scene.

“We knew initially we didn’t have anybody home, so an interior attack wasn’t possible,” Ellis said. “We were in a defensive operation.”

Firefighters from Eddington, Brewer, Holden, Dedham and Orrington not only had to battle the blaze, but subzero temperatures.

“We did have hose lines freeze up,” Ellis said. “Fortunately, we had no injuries.”

The house, which had working heat and electricity, was considered a total loss, Ellis said. A cause was not available Wednesday.

“We have requested assistance of the state fire marshal to determine a cause,” Ellis said.

Officials are also attempting to determine the origin of the fire, Ellis said. The house was built in the 1920s, he added.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor