May 24, 2018
Mid-Maine Latest News | Poll Questions | Mark Eves | Any-Deer Permits | RCV Strategy

Wood stove cause of fire that leveled Clinton mobile home

By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff

CLINTON, Maine — A wood stove was determined to be the cause of a fire that leveled a mobile home on Johnson Flat Road Monday evening, according to officials.

Clinton Fire Lt. Mark Bellaire said Tuesday officials were unable to determine exactly what happened with the wood stove.

“There’s too much damage to really figure that out,” he said. “More than likely it had something to do with the installation.”

Firefighters were summoned to the scene at the corner of Johnson Flat Road and Bush Road shortly after 8 p.m. Monday, Bellaire said. The mobile home was engulfed in flames when crews arrived.

“Our first unit reported flames breaking through the ceiling with visible flames throughout the trailer,” Bellaire said.

Crews from Clinton, Fairfield, Winslow, Canaan and Burnham were able to knock the flames down outside the home before performing an inside attack, Bellaire said.

The homeowners were not present at the time of the fire, and Bellaire said they are not insured.

It took firefighters about an hour and a half to get the fire contained, according to Bellaire, and he added crews were at the residence past midnight.

The lieutenant said the investigation has been closed and the fire does not seem suspicious. The whereabouts of several cats are not known.

Albion covered Clinton’s station, Bellaire said.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like