June 20, 2018
Down East Latest News | Poll Questions | Fuddruckers | Opioid Sales | RCV Ballots

Cherryfield man faces charges after high-speed car chase

By Tim Cox, BDN Staff

HARRINGTON, Maine — A Cherryfield man was arrested on multiple charges after police say he led a state trooper on a high-speed chase Monday night in Harrington, then fled on foot until he was apprehended with the aid of a police dog.

Alonzo Harvey, 27, was charged with criminal speeding, eluding an officer, driving to endanger, possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was taken to the Washington County jail.

Harvey was allegedly speeding on U.S. Route 1 when trooper Greg Roy attempted to stop him near the intersection of Wing Siding Road, Roy reported Tuesday. Harvey accelerated and left the scene about 9:45 p.m., said Roy.

Harvey, driving a Mitsubishi Eclipse, immediately turned off U.S. 1 onto Wing Siding Road and traveled on about eight different roads during the pursuit, which lasted about 10 minutes, said Roy. The suspect’s car reached speeds of 90 mph during the pursuit, according to Roy.

“At one point in the chase he actually turned off his headlights to make it so I couldn’t see him,” said Roy.

Harvey finally turned onto Webb District Road.

“He clearly didn’t know it was a dead-end road,” said Roy, and went off the end of the road into a snowbank and came to a halt.

Roy arrived at the scene momentarily. Harvey had gotten out of his car and fled on foot into the woods, said Roy. Another state police officer, Chris Smith, went to the scene with a police dog.

Smith, aided by the dog, tracked Harvey almost three miles and finally found him trying to hide behind a tree, according to Roy.

“Like that was really going to help,” said Roy.

Harvey, who was not injured, offered no resistance and was taken into custody about 11:15 p.m.

The Washington County Sheriff’s Office assisted, said Roy.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like