May 23, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Lunch Debt | Robert Indiana | Stolen Shed

Police: Trenton man faces aggravated assault charge after stabbing woman, self

Bill Trotter | BDN
Bill Trotter | BDN
A Maine State Police trooper sits in a parked cruiser Wednesday at a house on Oak Point Road in Trenton. Police were in the process late Wednesday morning of obtaining a search warrant for the house, located between Route 3 and Goose Cove Road, so they could go inside to collect evidence in an alleged stabbing that was reported early Wednesday.
By Bill Trotter, BDN Staff

TRENTON, Maine — A local man is in custody with self-inflicted knife wounds after he allegedly stabbed a woman at his home and then ran off into the woods.

James Stanton, 48, is being treated for “severe knife wounds” at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor, according to Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland. He has been charged with aggravated assault and is under police guard at the hospital.

The victim, a 21-year-old woman who lives at the same home on Oak Point Road as Stanton, also is being treated for wounds at the Bangor hospital. Her injuries are less severe, McCausland said.

The woman ran to a neighbor’s home around 1 a.m. to report the stabbing, according to McCausland. She later was transported to EMMC by ambulance.

“[Stanton] was found by state troopers about an hour after the stabbing was reported this morning,” McCausland wrote in a prepared statement. “Troopers, assisted by game wardens, located Stanton after following his footprints in the snow.”

The home is located near the intersection of Gray Road and Oak Point Road, between Route 3 and Goose Cove Road. Oak Point Road is part of Route 230, which skirts the edge of Western and Union River bays between Route 3 in Trenton and Water Street in Ellsworth.

Stanton was flown by LifeFlight helicopter to the Bangor hospital.

Susan Garver, a neighbor who lives across the street from Stanton’s house, said Wednesday morning that she thinks Stanton moved into the home, which belonged to his parents, sometime last summer. She said she did not know of any woman living in the house.

Garver said Stanton ran a generator outside the home for power last summer, but aside from that she cannot recall hearing much noise from the property.

“He was a very quiet neighbor,” Garver said. “He never caused any trouble. I’m really shocked to have this happen in the neighborhood.”

State police detectives were expected to obtain a search warrant so they could enter the house later Wednesday to look for potential evidence.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like