May 21, 2018
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | Marijuana Ties | Mary Mayhew | Car Theft

Woman injured in Berwick fire dies at Boston hospital

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

BERWICK, Maine — A Berwick woman who suffered severe smoke inhalation during a house fire last week died Sunday at Mass General Hospital in Boston, according to the state fire marshal’s office.

Rebecca Galleshaw, 63, was found in her bed Friday by firefighters who went to her First Street home after neighbors reported seeing smoke coming from her house, Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland said Monday in a news release.

CPR was administered, and Galleshaw was rushed to a New Hampshire hospital before she was transferred to Boston.

Investigators said the fire started in electrical wiring in the basement of Galleshaw’s one-story ranch house, where she lived alone.

The fire damage was contained to the basement, but the remainder of the house had heavy smoke damage.

McCausland said that Galleshaw is the first person in Maine to die as the result of a fire this year.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like