BANGOR, Maine — A local man charged with sexually assaulting the 15-year-old daughter of a friend last month made his first court appearance Monday at the Penobscot Judicial Center.
Samuel Thomas, 27, of Bangor was charged with gross sexual assault, Class A, gross sexual assault, Class B, and sexual abuse of a minor, Class C.
He was arrested Friday without incident by the Maine State Police.
Thomas allegedly forced the girl to have sexual intercourse with him in the middle of the night Jan. 18 to 19 at her home in Clifton. Thomas, his wife and two children spent the night with the girl’s family because they were in the process of moving, according to the affidavit.
The girl reported the incident to police a week later, the affidavit said.
She told Detective Jay Pelletier that about midnight she woke up because Thomas was in her bed. He took her out of her bed, led her downstairs to the first floor, undressed her, then himself and raped her on a couch.
The girl said she was “too scared to say anything,” the affidavit said. She also told Pelletier that Thomas “told her not to make a noise or he would kill her and also not to tell anyone or he would kill her.”
Thomas remained Monday at the Penobscot County Jail unable to make bail set at $10,000 cash or $50,000 in property.
If convicted, Thomas faces up to 30 years in prison on the Class A charge, up to 10 years on the Class B charge and up to five years on the Class C charge.
To reach a sexual assault advocate, call the Statewide Sexual Assault Crisis and Support Line at 800-871-7741, TTY 888-458-5599. This free and confidential 24-hour service is accessible from anywhere in Maine. Calls are automatically routed to the closest sexual violence service provider.