Woman suffers severe smoke inhalation as Berwick house burns

Posted Jan. 31, 2014, at 2:34 p.m.

BERWICK, Maine — A York County woman is at a Boston hospital after a fire broke out early Friday morning at her residence, officials said.

Rebecca Galleshaw, 63, suffered severe smoke inhalation and is being treated at an undisclosed hospital, Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland said.

Firefighters were sent to the First Street house at 8:30 Friday morning, and found Galleshaw in her bed, McCausland said.

CPR was administered and she was rushed to a New Hampshire hospital before being transferred to Boston. Galleshaw lived alone in the house.

McCausland said investigators determined the fire started in the basement of the one-story ranch house, and electrical wiring is the likely cause.

The fire damage was contained to the basement but the remainder of the house had heavy smoke damage.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Portland