Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz has backed off his desire for a new multiyear contract and now wants a one-year extension, according to WEEI.com.
Ortiz, 38, recently suggested he was prepared to play elsewhere once his current deal expires at the end of the upcoming season.
“We’re good. We’re good,” Ortiz told WEEI.com on Wednesday. “We talked, they’re talking and I just asked for one year. I didn’t ask for anything crazy. It wasn’t like I asked for a five-year deal. It’s a one-year extension I asked for.
“I’ve got a contract for this year. I was asking for a one-year extension for next year. I think, like I say, I think we had a great season last year and I’m walking into free agency after this season. We had a conversation, they’re outlining what they plan on doing and they’re going to come back to me with their answer at some point.
“Everything is going well. We had a great conversation. They are happy about what we talked about. I don’t even know why people are spreading bad rumors.”
Earlier this week Ortiz was nonspecific when asked how long he plans to play.
“It can be two years, it can be three years, it can be 10 years. You never know,” he said.
Ortiz signed a four-year, $52 million contract before the 2007 season and the team picked up his $12.5 million option for 2011. He then signed a $14.575 million deal for the 2012 season.
Not wanting another one-year deal, he signed a two-year, $26 million contract in 2013.
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington has said there are no pending negotiations with Ortiz and the matter is not urgent.
Ortiz had 30 home runs, drove in 103 runs and went over the 2,000-hit mark last year. It was the first time he reached 30 homers and 100 RBIs since 2010.