Bar Harbor man gets 3 months for sexually assaulting 13-year-old girl

Posted Jan. 29, 2014, at 11:26 a.m.
Last modified Jan. 29, 2014, at 5:36 p.m.

ELLSWORTH, Maine — A Bar Harbor man convicted earlier this month of gross sexual assault has been sentenced to 90 days in jail followed by three years probation.

A jury found Tyler Hamblen, 20, guilty of sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl on or around Nov. 19, 2011. Hamblen was 18 at the time.

The victim testified at the Jan. 17 trial that the two had met at an event held for teenagers on Saturdays. She said they exchanged text messages and photographs during the days after they met, and Hamblen picked her up from the same event a week later. She said they drove to a different location in Ellsworth and he assaulted her before he drove her back to the event.

Troy Gardner of the Maine State Police said the victim’s mother found out and contacted police. Gardner interviewed both Hamblen and the victim, and they said what happened. Hamblen was summoned and later indicted as a result.

Assistant district attorney Mary Kellett told the Bangor Daily News that the issue in this case was the victim’s age. According to Maine law, a person under the age of 14 cannot legally consent to having sex.

Under conditions of his probation, Hamblen will be required to complete counseling and won’t be allowed to have contact with the victim or any female children under the age of 16.

To reach a sexual assault advocate, call the Statewide Sexual Assault Crisis and Support Line at 800-871-7741, TTY 888-458-5599. This free and confidential 24-hour service is accessible from anywhere in Maine. Calls are automatically routed to the closest sexual violence service provider.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Hancock