June 24, 2018
Portland Latest News | Poll Questions | Lone Star Ticks | Foraging | Bangor Pride

Electrical malfunction sparked Freeport fire that caused $90,000 in damage

By Beth Brogan, BDN Staff

FREEPORT, Maine — A fire Sunday that destroyed a garage and recreational vehicle at a residence on Fernald Road in Freeport was caused by an electrical malfunction in the garage, investigators announced Tuesday.

Firefighters arrived at 92 Fernald Road just after 8:30 a.m. Sunday to find a fire in a detached garage 15 feet from the home, as well as an RV camper ablaze about 10 feet from the garage, Freeport Fire Chief Darrel Fournier said Monday.

The fire, which was under control by 9:12 a.m., destroyed the garage and camper, and jumped through a picture window into the home, causing about $8,000 damage to the kitchen, according to Fournier.

The home was insured, he said. Total damage was estimated at $90,000.

Fournier returned to the site on Monday with an investigator from the state fire marshal’s office, and said Tuesday that examination of the fire scene revealed that an electrical malfunction in the garage sparked the blaze.

The Fernald Road fire marks Freeport’s sixth major structure fire since November, when a home at 29 Griffin Road burned after a furnace malfunctioned.

On Christmas Eve, a fire that started in an electric hospital bed destroyed a mobile home on Starboard Lane off Staples Point Road.

On Jan. 15, a fire destroyed a home at 17 Griffin Road, displacing a family of five. Fournier said either a portable electric heater had malfunctioned or items had been left too close to the heater.

On Jan. 20 and 21, fires at two adjacent Ware Road homes were caused by items left on stoves, Fournier said at the time.

The state fire marshal’s office deemed all six fires accidental.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like