April 20, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Alex Gray | Bump Stocks | Ferry Fees

‘Extreme’ high-speed chase nets Rockport driver year in jail

By Stephen Betts, BDN Staff

ROCKLAND, Maine — A driver who led police on a high-speed chase on icy roads last month was sentenced Tuesday to a year behind bars.

“The magnitude of this case is extreme,” Justice Jeffrey Hjelm said in sentencing Arthur M. Andrews, 28, of Rockport to three years in jail with all but one year suspended. Andrews also will be placed on probation for one year when he gets out.

Andrews pleaded guilty in Knox County Superior Court to aggravated operating after habitual offender revocation, eluding an officer and operating under the influence.

The judge said it was extraordinary that no one was hurt as a result of the case.

According to an affidavit filed by Rockland police in court at the time of Andrews’ arrest in December, officers stopped at the Circle K convenience store at the intersection of Camden and Front streets. From the cruiser, the officers saw an apparently intoxicated couple at the store get into a vehicle.

Before officers could stop the vehicle, Andrews sped off across Camden Street and up Cedar Street, turned right onto Brewster Street and onto Maverick. He then drove west on Route 17. As officers pursued, Andrews passed vehicles and went through a red light at the intersection of Old County Road.

The officers, who indicated the roads were icy at the time, lost the vehicle in Rockport on Route 17.

But after reviewing video from the store, the officers were able to track the vehicle to Andrews’ home in Rockport. He denied driving, but his passenger said that he had been driving and that she was scared for her safety because of his driving.

On Tuesday, Andrews, who has been in jail since his arrest on Dec. 29, requested a stay of his sentence so that he could see his three children before serving the rest of his time.

Justice Hjelm rejected the request, citing the severity of the crime and Andrews’ lack of cooperation.


Correction: An earlier version of this story said Arthur M. Andrews lived in Union. Andrews lives in Rockport. It also said that Andrews was sentenced to three years in jail with all but six months suspended, but Andrews received three years in jail with all but one year suspended.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like